Tuesday, August 20, 2013

Summer Nights

Summer flew by...again!  We had a ton of fun this summer and really packed in a lot of fun things.  One thing Sadi's teacher encouraged me to help her with this summer is reading comprehension...she can read like a whiz, but ask her what she read and she becomes short term memory challenged.  I decided to read to the kids every night which besides maybe 2 nights out of the entire summer we did just that.  This is what most nights looked like at our house...
I tried to expose them to some of the classics and give them a taste of some fun books.  We read from Authors:  Barbara Park, Ronald Dahl, Judy Blume, E.B. White, Beverly Cleary, and Thomas Rockwell.  It's been awhile since I have read some of these books and was surprised I wasn't a a fan of all of them.  HUGE SPOILER in Judy Blume's Superfudge about Santa....NOT A FAN!  I had to literally fumble through that chapter and make up my own ending.
The last book we read which was really fun was How to eat fried worms.  Since we ended this book the night before school we celebrated by having something Billy's mom makes him in one of the chapters...a whizbang worm delight!
Sadi wasn't sure she wanted to eat worms...until she saw the kind of worms we were having, then it was down the hatch!
It was a fun way to spend our summer nights, although I'm pretty sure Sadi still suffers from "I have no idea what it was about!"

No comments: