Sunday, June 21, 2015

Celebrating 12 Years

On Saturday Matt and I celebrated our 12 year anniversary.  We weren't really sure what we were going to do.  We were talking about what was going on in town when Kelsey mentioned it was Taste of the Comstock in Virginia City.  We decided it might be kind of fun to check it out.  We headed up the hill to get tickets and pick up our tasting map.  There were 18 different locations to go to.  Luckily we had some great map readers helping us. 
Our first stop was at Café del Rio.  It is at the far south end of V.C. and one we always forget is even there.  It was one of my favorites.
We took our time walking around and stopping in for our samples.  One of Matt's favorites for sure was the sawdust corner where they had bacon, onion, and blue cheese sliders.
I wasn't too sure about this one since I'm not a fan of blue cheese.  But I decided I would at least try everything.  And I was pleasantly surprised this was in my top favorite's as well.  I just don't love the pink meat so much.  Matt was more than happy to help me finish mine.
One that really surprised me that I liked was this cheese and onion pie at the Mark Twain Saloon.  I think Matt was a little disappointed he couldn't help me finish this one.
It was kind of fun that one of the stops on our map was at Grandma's fudge factory.  Guess who was giving out the samples and signing maps there?  Kelsey's manager told us what an amazing worker she is and thanked us for raising such a great daughter.
We both had some favorites and both some we agreed totally bombed.  Here is our top hit and misses:
HITS:
*Café del Rio-Gordias and Al fresco
*Sawdust Corner-Blue cheese, onion and bacon sliders
*Bucket of blood saloon-Bloody Mary's
*The Roasting House-Iced coffee and Mocha brownie
MISS:
*V.C. Jerky Company-for the smallest piece of jerky I have ever seen, too hard, and blek
*V.C. Kettle  Corn.-giving us a smaller sample than you do on any other day of the week (might fool tourist, but not us)  and  just "meh okay".  And dumping it in your hand just...tacky
*V.C. Brewery-Horrible service, although your sample was good I'll never go back
*Canvas Café-Great enthusiasm about your sushi, but there's a reason no one has done sushi in V.C. just sayin'
Our two little taste testing helpers were pretty good all day.  They wet their whistle with some old time drinks.  Something about drinking these from a bottle just tastes so good!
It was a really fun way to spend the day.  We had originally planned to go out that night to dinner but in the end decided to barbecue and have a nice quiet dinner at home.  The kids went to their rooms and let us have some time just to ourselves.  It was great.  Cheers to another 12 and more!

1 comment:

marknkim said...

Happy Anniversary to you two! Looks like a fun way to celebrate. Sounds like some tasty samples.... Fudge Shop looks like my kind of place:)