Monday, August 20, 2012

The Big Day!

Today was the day...the first day of school!  Last night I gave each the kids a new book (this has become tradition since Chase started Kindergarten).  Chase got a cute little book about a cat who takes his little sister to school.  I was a bit bummed I couldn't find the night before Kindergarten book for Sadi, but she was thrilled with her new back to school book.  And Kelsey got to read a little story sent via text on her new phone!
All too early this morning the day began for Kelsey (and myself).  She had to be to school early because she is on the Student Council, and was less than thrilled they had to wear black for their dance they preformed in the assembly.  Besides the heavy load of classes (including AP) she is taking she is Student Council Historian, Key Club VP, National Honor Society Secretary, and Varsity Football manager.  She is going to have one busy year!
Chase was the most excited for school to start.  The boy couldn't go to sleep and then woke at 6 a.m. and was ready to go.  He wanted to ride the bus, and was upset when I told him I was driving him.  He also didn't like getting his picture taken...it was too sunny.  He just wanted to get to the playground and see his friends.
Sadi started Kindergarten....what?  How did we get here?  This year the school is implementing all day Kindergarten which I am not sure how this is going to work out but we are hoping for the best.  Today is seemed like chaos...it can only get better right?  My biggest concern is the class size...up to 33 now.  We'll see....
We dropped Chase off in his class where he had a front row seat.  We thought we were getting a teacher we didn't know but I was surprised when I saw her I recognized her as being Kelsey's 4th grade teacher from the other school.  Her last name changed since she taught Kelsey her very first year of teaching to Mrs. Shepard.  I am thrilled to know he got a great teacher.
Next it was time to drop off Sadi to her class.  She also got a seat at the front of the class.  She became a bit quiet when we got there but assured me she wasn't scared so off I left them.  ALL. OF . THEM. 
I loved hearing how much fun they all had their first day of school.  I was a bit worried about Sadi when I went to pick her up she said to me "Let's get outta this dump!"  She told me there was just too many kids around, but she did tell me she had fun and is excited to go back, so I'm calling it a success!  I planned a fun first day of school dinner tonight which I'm pretty sure they all loved.  I wrapped the table in paper and threw out some markers and crayons they could all write and draw about their first day of school.
We had cafeteria food for dinner complete with lunch trays and all.  There was even a menu up when they got home so they could see what was going to be served.  Can you tell how excited this kid was over that chocolate brownie?  We never have dessert for dinner.
Everyone enjoyed the coloring, and it lasted way past dinner time.  Quite artistic don't ya think?
Let's hope tomorrow is as great as today.  One day down, 179 to go!!


2 comments:

marknkim said...

So you guys went to full day Kindergarten too? Holy Cow!! 33 kids?? That is double what we have here. I can't even imagine that many kids in a class anymore.. ..we've been spoiled:} What a fun dinner!! We did the cafeteria, trays, and "lunch lady" a couple of years ago and the girls LOVED it. Hope you all have a successful school year.

Bogenschutz said...

Mom of the year!!
Thats all I can say!!