Friday, June 24, 2011

Day at the Marina

This week we took the kids to the Marina in Sparks just to check it out. It is conveniently located just a skip across the parking lot of Scheels at the Legends outlet mall in Reno. It is really pretty, and quite honestly smells like the wharf by the ocean. It's a 2.5 mile paved walkway around the lake for bikers, and joggers. Although it was a beautiful day, we only walked about half of it since we wanted to go do some shopping. Chase found a penguin (sandpiper)on the shore and thought that was pretty cool.

The kids watched a fisher pull a huge trout out of the water. They wanted to dip their toes in the water over on the beach, but I decided against it as we got closer to the water. The water smelled weird to me (I can only compare it to the smell of the Great Salt Lake). If you have been there you know it's a sort of indescribable smell. I think having Tahoe so close to us has really turned me off to all other lakes. I guess we are a bit spoiled that way. The kids still had a great time. I don't think we will be going back to swim...ever, but it is a beautiful walk.

1 comment:

heatlight said...

You are totally right about the marina stinking! We swam in it once (and only once) when they first built it and we were covered in an oily, stinky film. There is still heavy machinery at the bottom of the marina! I wouldn't dare eat a fish from there... but it's still fun to go :)