Wednesday, May 13, 2009

A partridge in a pear tree?

So for all of you who have fruit trees you know it is now time to spray the trees (if you are lucky enough to have any). We have like 5 different fruit trees and finally the first signs of possibly getting some fruit this year (after patiently waiting for years). My pear tree finally showing some possibility. Well I had been checking and checking on it. Don't need to spray yet I tell myself, okay pretty soon I will need to spray. Two days ago Matt says come check this out. He is pointing to our pear tree. There right in the middle........ A birds nest! I knew as soon as I saw it exactly which bird it was. Every year we seem to have a different bird that is there every morning in our backyard. Last year it was a Western Meadowlark, had the most beautiful song. This year I'm not sure what it is. It is very small and has a very bright yellow breast (not sure if this is the male or female though). I had been telling Chase every day I saw it, "there's our bird". We watched it eat and gathering up some of Broozer's hair that had fallen out so I knew it was building a nest, I had no idea that it was building it in my tree. Our little tree is only like 8 feet tall (if that). I thought this was kind of interesting though if you look at the first picture you notice what looks like a string right? That is part of the nest. It is like tied to a tree branch. I guess you know your wind is bad if even the birds tie their nest down.
Here is the top view of the nest. Pretty cool. And the last picture here is of the bird actually in the nest. If you look really close you can see it sitting with just his profile showing. I didn't want to get to close.
I love nature but I really want some fruit!!! I am hoping it ends successful for everyone.

3 comments:

Bogenschutz said...

Oh yes those birds build there nest anywhere. What a smart bird first of all putting it in a tree which will feed him all summer and secondly to tie it down? My you have a smart one there.

Bogenschutz said...

Nice, Remember when those birds built a nest on the wreath on our front door in Rocklin?

Bogenschutz said...

OK Finally I have been waiting for this day for the birds to come visit you. My only hope is that they fly right in your house and you have to get them out with a broom. I would love to be there that day, ha ha!!!!