Thursday, May 21, 2009

Awww... can we keep him mom?

The five words every Mom dreads to hear right? Because you all know that some disgusting thing has made it's way into your house. I have to say I brought this one on myself though. While walking out to bring in the trash can this week I spotted a huge lizard sitting on a rock out front. I knew Chase would love to see him, but I also knew he would be gone by the time I went in the house to get him. So I hurried and grabbed the bug net and cage and caught this lizard.Chase was thrilled, after all Mommy had caught him a pet right? Yeah, I didn't quite think that part through. I did let him enjoy him for a day but decided a cage was just not right (for anyone really....what are the odds he wouldn't get loose in my house? Yuck.)
I looked him up online, he is a collard lizard, had kind of a blue ring around his neck, he was very pretty.
Chase was so sad we let him go, look at this face.....
Then I remembered I had some left over fake lizards from Kelsey's Survivor birthday party last year. So I snuck in the house and found them, picked out a real good one, brought it out to Chase in my hand and pretended I had caught him a new lizard, one he could keep as a pet! What do you know, he fell for it!!
He loves his new pet lizard as do I. So far this thing has slept with him the past two nights and been shopping with us twice. I am sooo glad I did not keep the real thing. Check out that face, so careful to not let his lizard escape!

2 comments:

Bogenschutz said...

Oh come on mom, let us keep him? Love the whole learning experience. That is a great way for kids to learn about those kind of creatures.

Laura D said...

That is great! Mom- you deserve an award for thinking so quick- yeah- my hubby let todd bring home a salamader form their father/son campout and guess what is in his terraruim in his room? at least i don't have anything to do with it.
fake lizards are so much better!