Saturday, March 26, 2016

Saying Goodbye

Thursday March 24, 2016 was the day we said our final goodbye's to a Legend, otherwise known as Grandpa.
Grandpa's funeral was held in Fernley, at the Veteran's Memorial Cemetery, which is just a few towns away from us.
We have never been there, but the cemetery itself is just beautiful.  I cannot think of a prettier cemetery that I have ever been too.
Grandpa was in the Navy, and served in WWII as a gunner. 
This service was different for me in many ways.  I have never attended a military funeral, never attended a funeral with my kids for someone they were so close too, and also never been to a funeral of someone who chose to be cremated.  Everyone was in good spirits, and as the ceremony began I really thought I was going to be fine.
When we all looked out to the man holding the bugle, and he began playing TAPS...this is where I quickly realized my emotions were about to take over.  Later talking to Chase he said "that was the most beautiful music I ever heard", to which I might agree.
The folding of the flag, was so sacred and the silence was deafening.
I learned more about this part of the ceremony later, but it can almost be compared to that of a gun inspection by an outranking officer.  It was not done perfectly (per the officer), and had to be partially repeated.
When the Sergeant presented the flag to Grandma and spoke such heartfelt words, I was completely lost by my emotions.  I found it endearing that before he left he removed his gloves and knelt back down taking her hand and on a personal level gave his sincere condolences.
Matt's Dad then took a few minutes to speak a few words about Grandpa and talked about how he was "larger than life" and how much he will be missed.
Once the ceremony ended we moved to the grounds where Grandpa was to be buried.
To his final place of rest,
 We said our goodbye's.
Once the service was completed we headed to Carson City to Celebrate this wonderful life at a small reception we had helped put together.  I didn't take too many pictures as I tried to really be there in the moment.  I did make Grandma let me take a picture of her with this amazing drawing she did of Grandpa a few years ago.
They had it on display at the celebration. She really is a talented artist, and this is such an amazing likeness to the man who we will never forget.
His 2 sons and Grandma Carolyn (Matt's Dad on the left, and his Uncle Rick on the right). 
It was great to spend time with those who loved Grandpa so much, and hearing their stories about him.  All of Matt's siblings made the trip out to remember Grandpa (some traveling as far as Virginia) which was really special since we haven't seen some of them in 6 years.  We enjoyed what little time we had with them, and missed those cousins that weren't able to come.  I took a few pictures of Matt with his siblings, but this picture with his parents really captures the Denning's.

1 comment:

marknkim said...

Seems like a pretty unique guy! I am sure it was nice to spend time with so much family:) Too bad it takes those types of things to bring everyone together.