Tuesday, March 15, 2016

College Bound

Yesterday our 5th graders took a field trip to get them excited about the future and going to college.  It doesn't get much better than right here at the University of Nevada Reno.
I went along as a parent chaperone with Chase's class.  It was ridiculously windy and cold outside.
Luckily I know my way around somewhat and was able to give directions to the teacher's who became lost quickly.  Our tour guide Cole, who is a student ambassador was good to give a lot of quizzes to our group.
We did get to see a few things I had not seen before like this replica of the atomic bomb that is ridden around the campus from time to time(love they put a saddle on it).
We got to spend just a few minutes in the School of Mines building looking at all the different rocks and minerals.  You definitely need more time to explore in there.
I'm pretty sure this is not part of the "kid" tour but our guide thought it would be cool for the kids to see the graffiti staircase in the Church of Fine Arts...it was not only colorful, but has little filter (Chase picked up a new phrase that was for sure colorful).
We got to go inside the new Pennington Student achievement center which  I had not been in yet.  I need to go back so I can test out the cool social stairs.  I think the highlight for our group is when they were allowed to roll down one of the big hills on campus....highlights of college life I'm sure :)
Once our tour was over we set up to eat lunch on the lawn.  I had Kelsey grab us some Panda and meet us to surprise Chase.  He was pretty envied by most of his buddies...especially when she picked up a little ice cream after from U-swirl and shared it with us.
It's pretty cool to have such an awesome role model!

No comments: