Friday, August 8, 2014

Flashback 1994

Last weekend I headed to Utah for my huh hum...20 year high school reunion.  What?!  It feels more like 5.  I hadn't planned to go because Matt and Kelsey both had to work and I didn't really feel like making the journey alone, but one of my besties (Diana Francis) from school texted me just a week before and said her hubby couldn't go and wanted me to be her date.  The closer it came, the more excited I got to see her (although we e-mail occasionally we haven't seen each other since Kelsey was like 2).  She was traveling down from Montana with her two boys.  We met up the afternoon before the first night's shindig, and it was just like old times. 
Then we were off to the park for the family night reunion.  These were my dates for the night.....
Getting there wasn't as easy as it sounded, we got stuck in traffic for a good 40 minutes on the freeway...I DO NOT miss this part of being back home.
We weren't actually sure once we arrived that we were at the right place, because there were so few people there...however there were a TON of kids, so I was pretty sure it had to be right.  I got to catch up with quite a few friends including this girl (Melissa Yeaman) who we reminisced about ditching school all the time to go to breakfast, even getting busted by her parents once while sitting in a restaurant.  We spent so many weekends in the summer water skiing together, her family was like a second family to me.
This was the majority of us that made it out with our families.  So weird to see so many familiar faces and find out what they all have been doing since 1994...one of these faces is even a bishop!
Saturday night was the official Reunion, and had a much better turn out.  It was held downtown Salt Lake City at the Little America hotel.  My friend and I got a room for the night so we could party all night like the old days.  It was interesting to see who showed up (many I didn't think would), and those who didn't (those I was sure would come).  There were a lot of faces that I did not recognize, but they remembered me...does that make me shallow?  I was constantly asking my friend "who was that?"  The girl on the left here was like a photo bomber...the whole weekend.  She kind of latched on to us and never left.  Neither of us really remembered her..again she remember us.  The girl on the far right (Tiffany Bawden) was a friend for a long time, we both had kids within days of each other and we talked about how they both just graduated this year...crazy!
We had dinner, found out who had the most kids, still lives close to home, who traveled the farthest, etc.  Then we broke into teams and played some games that was hilarious!   Each game gave the teams points.  I won the contest for our team in hula hooping...yup, still got it.  Fun to see who could still have fun including this guy (Rob Young).
There was lots of reminiscing about who did what, who dated who, and who looked good, and who didn't.  Notice that photo bomber again in all my photos?
I went to elementary school with this girl (Charlene Springer), she always had the LONGEST hair and super blond.  Funny to see her with short dark hair. 
This girl (Christie Montoya) lived by me growing up and we also did gymnastics together in middle school.  She married her high school sweetheart and you may even recognize her as being on America's Funniest Videos (they won the 100 grand).  I remember watching that episode with the kids and saying "I know her!"
This (Rochelle Butler) was my college roommate the first year of college.  We reminisced on all the stupid things we did (and I threatened I had pictures of most of them).  She always wanted 10 kids...she ended up with 2.  How the crap did I have more kids than her?
This (Jared Kilgore) was our MC for the night.  We also spent a lot of time together not going to class.  He was the fastest running back ever for G.H.S.  He now coaches pee wee football and says he hates it!
It was a fun night including dancing to all the old hits from the 90's.  I was glad we decide to spend the night at the hotel.  I had brought my old yearbook and also set up a memory table in our hotel room for us with some of our old dance photos.  We laughed at ourselves..and others.  It was fun to reminisce high school days.
We looked up people we couldn't remember, and those we did.  We pulled an all nighter just like back in the day, and laughed ourselves silly...ahh those were the days!  Miss you already buddy!

No comments: