Tuesday, September 13, 2011

First Grade...Really?

So far I am not to thrilled about first grade. Let me explain, Chase has the new teacher who came down from third grade. She did not even know for a full 24 hours before we met her on the Friday prior to school starting that she would even be teaching this year. She was less than friendly, and since then I have been trying to help out in the classroom (with whatever her needs may be) unsuccessfully. BUT, that is NOT (okay it is a little) why I am disappointed so far. Chase had been telling me for 2 weeks that school is "boring". Chase loved school last year so I am still trying to detect what the problem is. HOWEVER, I am now suspecting school may be boring because take a look at week 1 homework.... Write the letter A?, and if that is to difficult:

fill in the blanks for numbers 0-10 (and don't worry if it is to hard they filled in 3 of the numbers for ya!!). I am all for review but really? If we don't know our letter A and numbers through 10 isn't there a problem?! Then week 2:

Really? These are the spelling words? I actually had to go pull out last years spelling tests to verify that yes these were words from week 4 of Kindergarten. Then as a cherry on top, they sent home their reading books for the week I couldn't even take a picture of the lame books like "MY DOG" that was 5 pages long. That get this they should take the kids 15-20 minutes to read. Chase did all in 4 books in about mmmm 4 minutes. Good thing we have a great library at home to supplement the lack of resources from school. I am hopeful school does not reverse all the progress he made over the summer...ugh.

No comments: