Saturday, March 18, 2017

Let's get ready to rumble....

The day after I returned from Houston Chase joined the middle school wrestling team.  The team had actually started practicing weeks before when I was out of town.  They were having a last call at his school and he really wanted to join.  He only got 2 practises in before their first scrimmage against 2 other schools.  I could just about feel his nerves from the crowd.
He did really well, and actually had a pin after just a few matches.
In the past few weeks we have been at practice 3 nights a week, and weekends have consisted of traveling to different schools in northern Nevada for competitions.  Chase travels with the team and some of those mornings have started at 4:30 a.m. and they go all day long.
I think each meet is a little nerve racking and the nerves were still obviously there.  I could see it on his face as he watched other match ups.
Although I have been at every practice and at each meet I'm still unsure at times just how all the points are awarded.  It has been really fun watching Chase learn and get better and more confident each week.
 
 
This last weekend Matt stayed home to take Sadi to a party and so I was alone in the stands all day.  I watched all of his match's and once he was all done competing I decided to cut out a few minutes early.  Turns out someone in one of the other brackets dropped and Chase had a last minute match, and I missed it!
I was SO BUMMED neither Matt or I were there to see him win!  Luckily his coach filmed it for me.  I felt horrible I missed this champion moment!
What made me feel EVEN WORSE was that because it was the championship duels to go to state they also had an award ceremony and gave out medals, and this boy took 5th place!  So proud of his hard work.
 I have been so impressed with his whole team and how well they have all done.
This weekend his team is off to the State competition.  Although Chase will not be competing, he will be going along to support his teammates.  We made a little treat for the team to wish them all good luck.  Matt and Kelsey could not tell what it was (guess they hadn't been to as many practises as me) because all the wrestlers knew it was their team wrestling mat. 
I can't say I'm sad that the ridiculously early mornings have come to an end, but watching our little Ali from the stands is something that I will miss.

No comments: