Friday, November 11, 2016

Letters to Heaven

Today for Veteran's Day I took the kids out to Fernley to the Veteran's cemetery where their Great Grandpa was just buried this past spring.  We have been out once since his passing on Memorial day weekend and it was flooded with flags, today....not a single flag on the graves.  I could not believe it.
Although my kids have only been there twice, they knew exactly where to find Grandpa.
Before we left home I had the kids write a letter to Grandpa and we tied them up with balloons and sent them to him in heaven.
The kids both had me read their letters before we left, and it made me cry.  Sadi made sure those balloons had a good send off of love.
They watched and watched until they could no longer see their balloons in the sky.
Sadi had also brought along some candy she had been saving that she said was just like the ones Grandpa used to give her from Woodettes diner where we used to eat breakfast with Grandpa all the time.  She made sure they were placed just right for him.
We enjoyed the peacefulness of the cemetery before some annoying mosquitoes scared us off.
I hope my kids grow up with an appreciation of the freedom they have and don't see Veteran's day as just a "day off" of school. 

No comments: