Wednesday, July 6, 2016

Walking Away

June 29th the call came in "I have bad news, Mom and Dad were in a car accident.  They rolled their car."  It was my sister on the line.  My heart sank, and tears flowed.  My parents were traveling to New Mexico to visit my sister.  They had decide to take a scenic route through Arizona.  Somewhere between the towns of St. John and Springerville they fell asleep and went off the road and rolled their car.
My Dad in the passenger seat had to be cut from the car, and was airlifted to Flagstaff hospital.  When the chopper returned to get my Mom the winds had shifted and so she was airlifted to Albuquerque.
My sister was 2 hours from Albuquerque and 5 hours from Flagstaff. She got in the car and headed to see about my Mom, and my niece took the longer road to head to my Dad.  It was a waiting game to see what the prognosis was.  Being so far away was torture.
When word finally came in, it wasn't all good.  My Mom was checked out and okay and was to be released that night.  My Dad was in worse shape.  He had 3 broken ribs, and fractured his T1 and T2 discs in his back.
Besides having multiple lacerations needing stitches,
and severe road rash on his head, he was moved to the I.C.U. due to risk of catching pneumonia and having possible head trauma.  It was hours before my niece arrived at the hospital so information was slow coming through.
With my Mom now hours away, and needing some recovery time my sister and two brothers caught a flight out of Salt Lake the following day to get to my Dad and to be there for my Mom. I could tell just by talking to my Dad on the phone his spirits were lifted finally having family there.
Because he was facing the possibility of immediate surgery it was some time before they finally let him eat.
Although my siblings were there, I don't think everyone breathed until my Mom arrived on Friday (two days after the accident).
She was bruised, but looked good physically.
He was able to get up briefly and walk with a cane, and they were able to take the neck brace off after a few days.
My siblings had a flight back on Sunday afternoon and I think really pushed to get him discharged so they could help get him home.  On oxygen and still facing the possibility of surgery on his back he would have to make a 2 hour car ride to Phoenix and then take an hour and a half flight home.  It was risky, but in the end I think the best.
With updates coming in periodically this was by far the best picture, flying them home!
They arrived home late Sunday evening, just over 4 days from the initial crash.  After seeing what they survived, it's hard not to believe in miracles.  I know there is still a long road of recovery for both of them, but we are all so blessed to still have them.

1 comment:

marknkim said...

Times like this make it so hard to live far away. So happy they are okay and on the road to recovery:)