Saturday, July 20, 2013

Lifeguard on Duty

Wednesday we took a trip to Lake Tahoe as we have every week this summer.  The day began like all the others have...building sand castles, splashing in the water, relaxing on the beach chairs.  I didn't know that by the time I left, I would feel like a different person.  I had no idea I was the lifeguard this day.
Early in the day my eye was drawn to a little girl about 12 months (maybe younger) who I had pointed out to Matt because she was wearing the cutest little bathing suit.  A few hours later while Matt was off making a work call and Chase and Sadi were swimming this same little girl was splashing around with another little girl about the same age when she tripped head first into the water.  She was completely submerged and convulsively splashing and then flipped face up and was still submerged.  She was a good 20 yards from us...no one noticed, except me.  I FLEW off my chair raced across the sand jumped into the water and lifted what was now a still baby into my arms and screamed "Whose baby is this?!"  I went to lay her down terrified I was going to have to give CPR to this girl...water poured from her mouth and I lifted her back up as more water fell from her nose, mouth, and eyes.  She started gaging, and finally sucked in air.  Her mother who was 3 umbrellas back on the beach was grateful as she took her daughter.  I returned to my beach chair shaking as Chase said 6 little words that changed how he looked at me "Wow, Mom your like a hero!".   The rest of the day I was on edge and just before we were about to go home an elderly woman on the opposite side of the beach who had an artificial leg was walking along the waters edge when her leg got caught and face first she went.  Although she was on all fours she could not get up...I again ran over to help her to which she was grateful, because she couldn't stand alone because her leg was floating up behind her.   Before we left, both parties once again thanked me.  This was no ordinary day at the beach....definitely not a relaxing one, but for one day in the eyes of my kids I got to be their hero!

1 comment:

marknkim said...

Yay for you!!! I think you were probably a couple of other peoples hero for the day as well:) What a scary experience, but rewarding too.