Wednesday, November 7, 2012

Election Night

Last night was Election night.  I'm sure lots of you were doing the same thing as we were...watching the t.v. as the polls closed and the results started rolling in.  Because it was a school night and we had to do homework and reading I purchased some books for the kids to talk a bit about the election.
For Sadi I bought Vote for Me! by Ben Clanton.  Hilarious!!  It is about a Donkey and an Elephant who will do anything to win your vote.  They call each other funny names, and even throw mud at each other!  I won't spoil the ending, but it is pretty funny.
For Chase I bought Bad Kitty for President by Nick Bruel.  This book is also very funny, but also surprisingly very educational.  We haven't finished the whole book but it does go through the whole process of a campaign.  Old Kitty is leaving office, and bad kitty is going to run for President.  To pick the nominee's they have to see which kitty is best at kissing a baby!  Bad Kitty is trying to get an endorsement from Old Kitty who has been having a really long nap.  Now we are reading about the campaign trail and bad Kitty is trying to give away fish to get the votes...uh-oh that's illegal!  I also had made each of the kids maps to fill in as they showed which states were won by Republican or Democrat parties.  They loved this!
It was fun involving the kids in the excitement and anticipation of the results.  I only wish we weren't interrupted by SO MANY phone calls!  The bad part about being a swing state is the ringing of the phone!!  Can you believe they were still calling 15 minutes prior to the polls closing?  The evening ended quicker than I had planned, and with results I did not anticipate.  So....here we go for another 4!

No comments: