Tuesday, October 29, 2013

A-MAZE-ing Pumpkins

This past weekend we FINALLY made it to the pumpkin patch.  I usually take the kids early in the month but with so many school/sports events going on we really ended up with only one weekend we could go.  Since most of our local farms were slim pickins on the pumpkins because of the smoke this year (apparently they couldn't get the bees to pollinate the flowers) we decide to try out a new farm in Reno that was suppose to be the best.  We started the day with a trip in the corn maze.
They had some of the tallest corn I have ever seen. 
I thought since this maze was a few acres bigger than the ones we usually visit it would take a long time.  Not the case.  I guess since the others we usually visit have some search and find within the maze that makes it take longer.  For the price I was a bit disappointed we finished it so quickly, even with Chase leading the way.  Matt thought it would be a good idea if we mapped where we went so we could find our way out.  This is our mapping of us in the maze:
The website promised a petting area which sadly consisted of just a few animals (which quite frankly looked neglected) in cages.  The kids were less than thrilled with the farm smell and were quick to take a look.  I couldn't stop staring at this thing.  Seriously what is this thing?  Unicorn sheep?
We opted out of going on the hayride since it looked as though they were cramming as many bodies on some hay pulled by a wagon.  "Just pretend your on a ride kids".
We searched for the perfect pumpkin, in the end Chase decided he didn't even want one from the pumpkin patch.  Sadi already had a couple from her field trip so she didn't pick one either.  This trip to the patch was less than thrilling this year.  In and out in less than an hour...boo!
Last night we had fun carving our pumpkins.  Sadi drew out exactly how she wanted her pumpkin to look on paper before drawing it on her pumpkin.
Chase was excited to carve his all by himself, and he did just that.  Those little pumpkin carving knives make it so easy for little hands, I remember when my Dad used to hand over his pocket knife and let us carve away...were we less likely to cut off a finger back then?
Sadi loved digging in this year...literally.  She was giggling and kept saying how fun it was to "rip out pumpkin guts".  This is the first year I really didn't even put my hand in a pumpkin.  Although this was great, it made me a bit sad feeling like my kids don't need me as much anymore.
 The finished products.  Funny how these two without looking carved just about the exact same faces.
 And on Halloween night these scary faces will light up the night out on our front porch.
Let the trick-or-treating begin!

1 comment:

marknkim said...

I love this kind of stuff too...and funny thing is no matter how much of a dud they are sometimes, I always want to do it again. I love how tall that corn is.