Monday, December 1, 2008

The perfect tree

This year we decided to get a real tree, I finally convinced Matt to do it and that it would be fun. It helped I guess that our artificial tree fell apart at the yard sale I had. So we got our tree permit and along with our very vague map they gave us we set out looking for the perfect tree. I had envisioned the perfect day, the perfect weather, the perfect scene. We would bundle the kids up head out in the snow and into the forest to cut our perfect tree. Well it didn't quite turn out that way, it was warm(no need for coats), the map led us to miles and miles of well, not a forest, more like the abandoned desert. No walking through a forest, more like carry the kids and listen for rattlesnakes. And try to find a tree in this..... This was zoomed photo after driving for oh an hour! See any Christmas trees? If you look close you can see the wild horses, saw lots of those. We did find a few okay ones with stumps the size of Texas!! No thanks. Guess where we found our perfect tree? The parking lot of Smith's, can you believe it? Yes, the most beautiful tree was there. It made me remember so many memories of going with my Dad down to Fred Meyer every year to pick out a tree, he would always pick the same kind of tree (Blue Spruce) no matter how hard I bugged him to buy a poofey one. He would show me how to check the needles, bending the branches back and running his hand along it to see how many needles came off in your hand. Then the torture of watching it sit in the garage because Dad didn't want to put it up to early. I do love remembering that time with Dad.
Matt making his own memories, cutting his finger while cutting the stump off.

Here it is, 8 feet of lustrous fir, oh there is nothing like the smell of a real Christmas tree, I love going outside just to come back in to smell it.
After it was all decorated.
The kids have their own little trees to decorate with all of their ornaments, here is Kelsey with hers.
Chase and Sadi's tree. I hope they have great memories as they get older as both Matt and I do.

1 comment:

Laura D said...

we thought about getting a real tree, but then figured, nay.How fun it would be to go cut down your own.
Yours looks so beautiful! I would love to decorate a tree my way, hmm maybe someday. I like the kids little trees, they are so cute!